Our Mission in Guatemala
We are planning another trip to developing communities in Guatemala with an amazing in-country team. As I pack medical and dental supplies, get my work gloves ready and mentally prepare for a little different lifestyle for a few days I have been thinking about why this is good for me (and might be good for you at some point…)
1. I NEEEEED to remember how good my life is! And there is nothing like hanging out with some folks who spend all their time 24/7/365 surviving.
2. Jesus told His faithful followers to “go…” in Matthew 28:19, and this is a chance I have to do just that, which makes my “stay” much more purposeful: “If I can act (love, serve, give, sweat…) like this there, why can’t I act like this here?”
3. We get closer to each other in 5-10 days of working our tails off and traveling together than we could in a year of church services and small groups. You KNOW these people when you experience something like this- whether you want to or not!
4. I tend to listen better when I am out of my regular “groove.” The everydayness of my life can insulate me from really listening to other people, my family, God’s still, small voice and even my own head. A chance to retune.
5. And of course the most obvious- the whole reason God has put us all together here on earth is so that we can reflect what He loves and values most! This is one very evident chance I have to make this world a little better, yep anyone can do it any where, but it seems that when the need is so abundant, the improvement is almost miraculous. And the fact that I get to do it as an act of worship to glorify and please my Creator, who loves those struggling Guatemalans way more than I ever could, somehow makes the whole experience echo all the way into eternity.
About the Current Series
Join us this winter and spring and we explore a series of questions about the Bible, life, and the nature of reality, considering how to think through difficult issues.
Listen to Recent Sermons
Mountain Park Church
40 McNary Parkway Lake Oswego, OR 97035